Thursday, December 5, 2013

Looking Through Zoe-Colored Glasses

The other day Scott told me that every time he sees Zoe it makes him smile.  I asked him if after 21 years of marriage I do that for him ...no, I didn't say that out loud but it made me consider if I have taken having this little four year old around for granted.  It has been 7 months since we brought Zoe to her new world and the holidays have been a blast.  We have photographed all her firsts; first snowfall, first Thanksgiving, and everything about Christmas is a first!  Two weeks ago we decided to bring Zoe to meet Santa at the mall on a lonely Friday night.  No line!  We told her about Santa and him bringing her presents on Christmas morning one minute before she laid eyes on the jolly old guy.  Her eyes lit up and because both Scott and I were living in the moment we don't have a video of it - I know how terrible.  However, as per usual, Zoe was very welcoming and friendly and sat on this Santa's lap like she had known him forever.  He looked into her eyes and asked her what she wanted for Christmas.  She was speechless and I informed him that this was Zoe's first Christmas.  His expression was precious and he asked where she was from.  He talked about toys and princesses and this was a language she already knew.  We got a picture package, of course, and Santa spoke to us some more while Zoe explored the make-shift North Pole.  There was no 'I wants' and she was given a stuffed penquin and skipped down the ramp.  I'm not sure what was going through her mind. Then the other day, while driving in the car, I broke my rule and turned on Christmas music a few days before December 1st.  Jingle Bell Rock came on and I looked over my shoulder and said, 'Zoe, this is the first time you have heard Jingle Bell Rock!' Then Elvis' Blue Christmas came on and I said, 'Zoe, this is the first time you are listening to Blue Christmas!'  Do you get that excited about Christmas anymore? We drive through the neighborhood and she sees houses lit up and cheers.  She was so fun to have around while we got out her first ornament to put on the tree and listen to my Hallmark musical animals over and over.  I got emotional when I took out her stocking with her name on it that I purchased two Christmas' ago.  We thought she was coming so much sooner.  I don't want to miss any new wonder with Zoe this year.  She can't wait to make a snowman and go sledding and skating.  I also don't want to shower her with so much that we forget to remember why we celebrate Christmas.  Jesus entered this world in a very lowly state.  In a humble stable yet the Son of God.  I sing Away in A Manger every night to Zoe now.  She is accepting to talk about Jesus.  She is learning about him at preschool and church and I hope she continues to wonder about Him.  I challenge you to see Christmas through Zoe-colored glasses.  What wonder does God want to show you this season and into the year 2014?  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment