Monday, January 9, 2012

A New Year, a new endeavor

I began to write this entry on January 1 but was in Mexico and couldn't get my blog up and running.  Regardless, it's still a new day, a new year and I have new goals and new endeavors.  I love fresh starts.  It brings me back to when I was a kid and I moved in grade 8 (first sign I'm Canadian, I know) and had to meet new friends.  I took up a new sport (basketball) and fit in to a new crowd. Life at 13 was good. New endeavors have been a big part of my life, especially when we moved our family to the U.S. and had to find a new house, new neighborhood, new friends and a new church.
So, why blog? I stay at home and volunteer in my kid's schools and in our church.  I'm not a linguist by any stretch of the imagination.  My sixteen year old blows me out of the water in this department.  I thought about blogging so much that my answer kept being, 'why not blog'.  Well, I have a couple reservations.  A huge one is that I've been known to be a little on the private side.  I don't let you in until we really get to know each other.  On vacation I was reading the forward of a book by Kay Warren called Dangerous Surrender.  This statement jumped out at me; 'you can impress people from a distance but to deeply influence others you must allow them to get close to you'.
Another reason is that I don't always think my thoughts are worthy of sharing.  Sounds like a lack of confidence.  I have confidence in so many areas of my life but I guess growing up as the youngest of 5 makes me sometimes want to take the 'back seat' (literally in our '78 station wagon). I was reminded of the movie Julie and Julia.  Where a young woman sets out to create a new dish by Julia Child every day for one year.  Her passion attracted many readers.  My faith in Jesus Christ has always been apart of my upbringing, and as an adult it has become an essential element to my life.  The Bible has been my lifeline and so many of my thoughts, experiences, and decisions I've made for my life reflect God's guidance.
Our newest adventure is following God's call to adopt and so this is my journey worth unfolding.  I was reading a fitness magazine and came across a life coach's book called Your Journey Matters.  So, there you have it.  We all have stories to tell.
So here's me embracing the blogging world.

2 Corinthians 5:20 We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us.

2 comments: